Medicare Hospital Bed LCD Coverage
Coverage Indications, Limitations, and/or Medical Necessity
For any item to be covered by Medicare, it must
- be eligible for a defined Medicare benefit category,
- be reasonable and necessary for the diagnosis or treatment of illness or injury or to improve the functioning of a malformed body member, and
- meet all other applicable Medicare statutory and regulatory requirements.
For the items addressed in this local coverage determination, the criteria for “reasonable and necessary”, based on Social Security Act §1862(a)(1)(A) provisions, are defined by the following coverage indications, limitations and/or medical necessity.
For an item to be covered by Medicare, a detailed written order (DWO) must be received by the supplier before a claim is submitted. If the supplier bills for an item addressed in this policy without first receiving the completed DWO, the item will be denied as not reasonable and necessary.
For some items in this policy to be covered by Medicare, a written order prior to delivery (WOPD) is required. Refer to the DOCUMENTATION REQUIREMENTS section of this LCD and to the NON-MEDICAL NECESSITY COVERAGE AND PAYMENT RULES section of the related Policy Article for information about WOPD prescription requirements.
A fixed height hospital bed (E0250,E0251,E0290,E0291,E0328)is covered if one or more of the following criteria are met:
- The beneficiary has a medical condition which requires positioning of the body in ways not feasible with an ordinary bed. Elevation of the head/upper body less than 30 degrees does not usually require the use of a hospital bed, or
- The beneficiary requires positioning of the body in ways not feasible with an ordinary bed in order to alleviate pain, or
- The beneficiary requires the head of the bed to be elevated more than 30 degrees most of the time due to congestive heart failure, chronic pulmonary disease, or problems with aspiration, or
- The beneficiary requires traction equipment, which can only be attached to a hospital bed.
A variable height hospital bed (E0255, E0256, E0292, and E0293) is covered if the beneficiary meets one of the criteria for a fixed height hospital bed and requires a bed height different than a fixed height hospital bed to permit transfers to chair, wheelchair or standing position.
A semi-electric hospital bed (E0260, E0261, E0294, E0295, and E0329) is covered if the beneficiary meets one of the criteria for a fixed height bed and requires frequent changes in body position and/or has an immediate need for a change in body position.
A heavy duty extra wide hospital bed (E0301, E0303) is covered if the beneficiary meets one of the criteria for a fixed height hospital bed and the beneficiary’s weight is more than 350 pounds, but does not exceed 600 pounds.
An extra heavy-duty hospital bed (E0302, E0304) is covered if the beneficiary meets one of the criteria for a hospital bed and the beneficiary’s weight exceeds 600 pounds.
A total electric hospital bed (E0265, E0266, E0296, and E0297) is not covered; the height adjustment feature is a convenience feature. Total electric beds will be denied as not reasonable and necessary.
If the beneficiary does not meet any of the coverage criteria for any type of hospital bed it will be denied as not reasonable and necessary.
Trapeze equipment (E0910, E0940) is covered if the beneficiary needs this device to sit up because of a respiratory condition, to change body position for other medical reasons, or to get in or out of bed.
Heavy duty trapeze equipment (E0911, E0912) is covered if the beneficiary meets the criteria for regular trapeze equipment and the beneficiary’s weight is more than 250 pounds.
A bed cradle (E0280) is covered when it is necessary to prevent contact with the bed coverings.
Side rails (E0305, E0310) or safety enclosures (E0316) are covered when they are required by the beneficiary’s condition and they are an integral part of, or an accessory to, a covered hospital bed.
If a beneficiary’s condition requires a replacement innerspring mattress (E0271) or foam rubber mattress (E0272) it will be covered for a beneficiary owned hospital bed.
IF YOU HAVE ANY QUESTIONS: CALL JUNE MCCARTHY AT 954-484-7599