Florida’s hurricane season can be severe. From fierce winds, heavy rains, dangerous waves, and flooding; you can never be too prepared. Hurricanes can cause extensive damage. It’s critical to take steps to prepare you and your family in the event of an evacuation. We often consider things like water, food, flashlights, and even irreplaceable valuables. However, many forget to include medical supplies in their hurricane preparedness kits.
Hurricane Preparedness Kit Basics
Depending on the size of your household and their needs, preparedness kits can significantly vary. Hurricane season can last well into November in Florida. It’s crucial to keep your kit in an easy-to-locate area. It needs to be accessible when you need them in the event of an evacuation.
According to Ready, a division of the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA), even the most basic hurricane preparedness kit should include:
- Battery-powered or hand-crank radio
- Cell phone with backup charger
- Duct tape
- Dust masks to filter air
- Extra batteries
- First aid kit
- Food: Three-day supply of non-perishables per person.
- Garbage bags
- Local maps
- Manual can opener
- Plastic sheeting
- Water: One gallon per person for several days
- Wrench or pliers
Additionally, if you have pets, small children, or members who suffer from medical conditions, account for their needs. This includes adding things like extra diapers, the food or formula they require, and medical supplies.
Medical Supplies To Include In Your Hurricane Kit
Whether a hurricane causes you and your family to shelter in place or evacuate, it’s vital that everyone has enough medical supplies to last for at least a week. Medical supplies you need go beyond a well-stocked first aid kit.
It should include:
Ensuring you have all essential medical documents in your emergency kit is key. However, many prefer to keep this information in their homes or on their person. With that being said, when a hurricane strikes, panic can cause us to leave these crucial documents behind.
To guarantee you have a record of all needed medical information, you should include a:
- Copy of insurance cards, doctor contacts, list of allergies. Additionally, a summary of the health history for each member of the family.
- List of all medications and special instructions for every family member; on the chance you require medical attention and are unable to communicate.
- Lastly, record of the type and serial numbers of all needed medical devices; this includes oxygen tanks and inhalers.
Remember: Make sure all your important documents are laminated.
Medications and Medical Supplies
The last thing you want during an emergency is to not have the medications or medical supplies you need. Remember, it may be challenging to get access to a pharmacy or medical supply store. It’s critical to include these items in your hurricane preparedness kit:
- An array of over-the-counter medicine, including pain and allergy relief.
- A backup pair of glasses and/or contacts and repair equipment for each visually impaired family member.
- A cooler bag for medications that must be kept cold, such as insulin and other vaccines.
- A week supply, or more, of required medications and supplies for each member of the family.
- Extra batteries for hearing aids and glucose monitoring systems.
- Personal hygiene items, including incontinence supplies, if needed.
Affordable Medical Supply and Hurricane Preparedness
Without question, as the saying goes; an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure. Being prepared for hurricane season is no different. At Affordable Medical Supply, we are committed to be there for our customers. Just like you and your family, we know that it is never too early to start preparations.
Do you have any questions about the medical supplies you should include in your hurricane preparedness kit? Call Affordable Medical Supply toll-free today at 1-866-484-7599!